Thursday, February 17, 2011

Confessions of a City Slicker

(**WARNING – This post contains gross photos!**)

I grew up in a suburb of Orlando, Florida. My family moved to a suburb of San Diego, California when I was 13. I attended the University of California at Los Angeles in one of the largest cities in the United States. After graduating, I lived in suburbs working behind a computer all day to earn a living. My entire life has consisted of the sheltered suburb and city life.

I had never seen (not counting television) an animal die or be killed; not a cow, not a dog, not a bird, not even a rat. I take that back; I saw a chicken killed in Africa on a mission trip and it grossed me out. I didn’t eat the chicken that night. I had never been hunting before. Road-kill was about the extent of seeing dead animals and I quickly turned away and avoided dwelling on it. While enjoying steak, chicken, and hamburgers just as much as the next red-meat-loving red-blooded American, thinking too much about how the meat got to the table can make me a little queasy. I don’t think anyone would classify me as an animal lover; my only pet growing up was a fish.

Well, in the first few trips into Ashéninka communities, blood and death has been a common part of life. It has taken some getting used to. The Ashéninka love to eat meat, and although fish is often all there is, hunting and trapping is a vital part of their life. My first experience seeing a dead animal in the community was a capybara, known as a ronsoco among the locals. It is the world’s largest rodent—think of Rodents Of Unusual Size from Princess Pride—and can weigh well over 100 pounds. Hyoni shot one on the island across from Yarina Isla and as he rowed back to shore, I was intrigued and silently nervous at the same time. ROUS?

I posed for pictures with this rat on steroids and forced myself to watch the pouring of boiling hot water on the body as the skin contracted and the hair was scraped off revealing a bright white skin underneath. This ain't your typical science class dissection!That wasn’t nearly as bad as the de-gutting and hacking of the carcass—more tamely called field dressing. The meat was surprisingly good, but my first experience of blood, guts, and death was eye opening. Chunks of overgrown rat meat anyone?

A couple pigs were killed and cut up in similar fashion.She'd lose her head if it wasn't attached. Oh wait...it isn't! I helped drag one of the freshly dead ones and the other—killed on a separate trip—had to be hammered in the head after being shot a couple times with an air gun. The sound of hammer and skull clashing was gruesome, but again the meat tasted great. Best ribs south of Memphis!There have been various birds mixed in, but that is hardly as upsetting and the meat doesn’t taste as good. On the latest trip, Hyoni’s traps have done the hunting for us and two añujes have been caught. An añuje is another rodent creature, much bigger than a rat, but not nearly as big as the capybara. The first one had its head blown off and the second had its back blown off. That explosion of flesh is where the head used to be!Both were incredibly gruesome, but the leg meat was a special treat.

The most difficult of all was the cow that was killed for the training conference. We waited for a couple hours to get the cow in its corral, but when it wasn’t entering, it was decided to shoot her instead. I heard the shotgun blast and we started looking the cow as it ran away. Blood was dripping in the mud, but the cow was “utterly” unaffected because the shot had hit the cow near the utters. I was an eyewitness to the second blast and it still didn’t go down. Ultimately, the cow had to be roped to the ground and Hyoni jabbed a Rambo-style knife into the back of the neck and began cutting the head off. I don't think it was totally dead until some time during the beheading :(.Everything about this sawing of the cow in fourths was bigger, grosser, and harder to watch. The kicker was having to carry a quarter of the cow on my shoulder for a 30 minute hike back to the boat. Smiling on the outside, nearly throwing up on the inside.Yes, that was a 30 minute hike through the jungle carrying somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 pound of bloody, freshly dead flesh. In the end I was exhausted, covered in sweat and blood, reeked terribly and couldn’t believe what I had just experienced.That's blood on my shoulders and arms. I washed the shirt I was wearing in the river, but it was still thoroughly stained. As with most of my other jungle animal death experiences, the meat tasted great!

I had never been covered in blood like that before and reflecting back on it, I am reminded of the sacrificial system of the Bible. Animal death and blood was a common sight in Old Testament times in an effort to cover the sins of the people of Israel. No matter how many animals were sacrificed or how much blood was spilled, it was never enough to keep up with the sins that were being committed. It wasn’t until Jesus came to earth and was the final perfect bloody sacrifice on a cross did we receive the opportunity to have our sins forgiven once and for all. His blood covers us and makes us clean and sinless in the Father’s eyes. I may never get used to the blood and death that is so much a part of life in the jungle, but I sure am thankful for my Savior’s blood and death for me. The greatest sacrifice of all!

Indeed, under the law almost everything is purified with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins. (Hebrews 9:22 ESV)

5 comments:

  1. Great post...I know that I would have a tough time with the whole "killing your dinner" thing. But I am so thankful that God knew who to send to the jungle to help reach the people. We think if you all often and keep you lifted in prayer....may God continue to bless you all....
    The Coats Family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Gayheart family! Great reminder of the awesomeness of Jesus' sacrifice for us. Thank you. But . . . as for the your experience, I'm glad it's you and not me. Someone just mentioned sausage to me day before yesterday, and I had to cover my mouth and hold my stomach! We love and miss you. Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hermano, que experiencia. Le doy gracias al Señor que esa tarea te tocó a ti y no a mi. Me imagino que has visto muchas cosas increíbles.

    Le doy muchas gracias al Señor por ustedes y le hemos pedido que Dios los guarde y proteja, y que les fortalezca para continuar la buena voluntad de Él.

    Les amamos mucho.

    Que la luz de nuestro Salvador sea despliegue en su vida.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say....I am always in awe when I see these pictures..and a little grossed out:) Your family never ceases to amaze me and I pray for you constantly. We saw one of those big overgrown rats in the Safari here in Puebla and I told the girls that you eat that in the jungle...they both replied with a very loud "Ewwwwww". lol Love ya'll!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool guys. Your stories are encouraging as I am also accustoming my self to the slaughtering of animals. One time we were killing a pig and Lilian asked, “Why is that pig screaming.” Then she asked, “Why did the pig stop screaming.” I think she realized what happened when we drug it over by her.

    ReplyDelete