Sunday, April 12, 2009

Legacy

A calling is a peculiar thing. I suppose Michael's and mine can be most likened to God's pursuit of us. His relentless tugging has become both tangible and very specific.

Michael had a Grandfather who had been a missionary in Peru (the jungle), and I grew up listening to missionary biographies from a cassette player beside my bed at night. During our childhoods, we each pondered life in a cross-cultural context. We thought about living among a people different from us-- learning from them, loving them. However, we rarely entertained these thoughts at the same time.

That changed during a missions celebration at Immanuel Baptist Church in March, 2008, nine years into our marriage. During this week, we chose to fast and pray. Michael went on a long walk listening to Romans 10 on his ipod:
Now how can they call on one in whom they have never believed? How can they believe in one of whom they have never heard? And how can they hear unless someone proclaims him? And who will go to tell them unless he is sent? As the scripture puts it: How beautiful are the feet of them that bring glad tidings of good things!

He was overwhelmed by the possibility that his feet could be those that brought good news. In his mind,the word legacy did somersaults. He told me the next morning he could not stop thinking about a particular word and was curious to see if I could guess what it was. "Is it legacy?" I quipped. In that very moment, the Holy Spirit put legacy in my mind, "The Lord wants us to go to Peru and finish the work your Grandfather started." This was something we had never even discussed or considered.

Michael, being calculated and cautious, is rarely given to impressions. He is very discerning and logical and hardly sentimental. To be apart of this moment with him--this legacy moment-- was thoroughly unexpected...

Next week we leave for Orientation in Virginia. Language School in Costa Rica follows. Not until later next year will we actually arrive in Peru. Will you join us in this legacy?

7 comments:

  1. We are praying for you, Michael, your children, your families and those you will touch on your amazing journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I still get teary every time I read or hear this. I even shared this story with another "MK" whose dad worked with your grandfather there in Peru.

    We are blessed to call you our family.

    Love,
    MOM
    XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are praying for your family also....I enjoyed your testimony so much at appointment week and look forward to seeing your entire family at FPO next week! Can you believe it is finally here? Maybe we will be in the same quad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I just clicked on your blog to check you out after I saw you were following ours. Welcome to the missionary life! What an adventure awaits you and your family! I'd love to "talk" with you more. Would you like to email? Mine is anastasiamcclain@aol.com . When will you arrive in Costa Rica? Hope to hear from you soon. God Bless you for answering the call to be the feet that carry the good news! In Christ, Brooke McClain :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Guys,
    We enjoy reading your blog! We are so excited for you all!
    In Christ,
    The Rossi's

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Guys,
    We enjoy reading your blog. We are so excited for you as you begin a new chapter!
    In Christ,
    The Rossi's

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there! My name is Liz Hartley, and I'm a student at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. Beautiful post about God's calling on our lives!! I feel called to be a missionary as well when I finish school, and it really just thrills my soul to hear about other missionaries' journeys to where God's purpose for them is. I found your blog and wanted to read your first post to see how it began for you. I'm going to be a summer missionary in Peru this summer, so I was extra excited to find your blog. :) I will be praying for you and the work God is doing in Peru! God bless!

    In Christ, Liz

    ReplyDelete